January 3, 2008

Vegas, Baby!!

So, went to Las Vegas for New Years. It was a blast, even with slightly limited funds. It was colder than I expected and there as much, much more walking. My feet were ready to stage a revolt by the end of it. Surprisingly there were not that many people. It was crowded in places but not bad at all. The amount of children was strange to me. I would not really think of Vegas as a kids place. Maybe older kids, 14 and over. They can kind of watch out for themselves. But there were a lot of really young kids 3, 4, 5 years old. What do you take a kid that young to Vegas for?
Also, there did not seem to be that many drunks. I mean there were some, my family included, but really most people were very mellow. I only saw 2 fights, 2 people puking, 1 arrest and a zillion stupid girls. It was cold in Vegas that night, somewhere in the low 30's and all over the place were girls in small dresses and high heels. I know that they wanted to look good but no one looks sexy while turning blue and shivering. No one.
I do commend the city of Vegas for being so organized. The street was blocked of to traffic at about 11 and by 3 most everything had been cleaned up and the street was back in business. Almost like nothing had happened. And in the middle of it all were the religious fanatics with bull horns trying to warn us of the hell we are going to. I wonder if they really believe that they are going to save someone this way. A last minute conversion on the streets of Vegas. Some drunk lost soul is save by their hell and brimstone signs and unintelligible preaching from the megaphone. What a buzz kill.