July 11, 2008

Arts festival, part 1

I just can't seem to be able to keep up with posting. The Arts festival was 2 weeks ago and here are some of the pics from it. The metal work really interested me this year. Fred Conlon made the piece above. I really like that the "heart" is a pad lock that says hardened on it and that the staff he's holding doubles as a propane torch. Nice touch. You can find his work on-line at www.sugarpost.comThis beautiful horse was made by a different artists who's name I did not catch. True to tradition the artists were pretty much the same this year as last. There were a couple of new ones but over all the same. Not to say that the art isn't good. It's great but year after year of seeing the same art is kind of a let down. I know people who have stopped going at all because of that.
The art festival for me has become less about the art and more about the performers and the people watching. It does my heart good to see that Utah is not just a homogeneous blob but a great place full of funky people.
All in all, it was a lovely day in the SLC.