July 19, 2008

The Flobots

The Flobots' show was amazing. It reminded me that no matter where a band plays, if they are great the show is great. The Avalon is missing a few things like air conditioning and an ATM. I really don't carry cash anymore. So, getting to a venue that is cash only and that doesn't offer an ATM is strange and inconvenient.
Then, we were informed that if you want to go in and out of the venue you have to buy a $2 wrist band. I mean really? Two bucks is nothing but it's the principle of the matter. I already bought a ticket and now I have to buy a wrist band, if I want a smoke or go find an ATM since you don't have one? Just great.
Luckily the band was not starting for an hour or so. We just went to the bar across the street had a beer and got some cash. Yeah, and the bar across the street was a typical biker bar with country rock playing called The Dawg Pound. Not my usual hang out but you do what you have to.
Anyways, the Flobots started their set and it was great. I must have lost about a gallon of water from how hot it was and how much I was dancing. At one point a small group was trying to mosh but the band simply stopped playing and told them that this was not that kind of show. Very impressive. They did a fun cover of "Happy together" by the Turtles and the lead rapper pulled out a moving solo about his brother, who died on 9-11, and his feeling towards our actions following. Then, I nearly lost it during "Stand Up". I love that song.
And being the politically minded folks that they are, they are trying to start a movement through www.fightwithtools.org. Check it out. The venue may have been lacking but the Flobots were in great form.